Tryba Architects is an ongoing and enthusiastic supporter of the National Organization of Minority Architects (NOMA) and was pleased to take part in several recent events hosted by the organization's Colorado chapter. Ivan Patino, Job Captain at Tryba, serves as Treasurer for NOMA Colorado and recently joined other organization leaders in a panel discussion exploring the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion in the architecture profession. The panel explored DEI challenges, successes and ideas for investment in creating greater opportunities for all. The panel offered seven suggestions for steps individuals can take to advance DEI in their firms:
1. Educate Yourself: Take the time to educate yourself on issues related to DEI. Read books, attend webinars, and seek out training opportunities. This will help you to better understand the issues and develop more effective strategies for advancing DEI.
2. Build Coalitions: Identify colleagues who share your commitment to DEI and work together to build a coalition within the organization. This will help to amplify your message and increase the likelihood of success.
3. Find Allies in Leadership: Identify leaders within the organization who are committed to DEI and build a relationship with them. This can help to ensure that DEI is a priority and can provide support for your efforts.
4. Create a Plan: Develop a plan for advancing DEI within the organization. This should include specific goals, timelines, and strategies for implementation. Make sure to include input from stakeholders and be transparent about your plans and progress.
5. Communicate Effectively: Effective communication is key to advancing DEI within an organization. Make sure to communicate your message clearly and consistently and tailor your message to your audience. Use data and evidence to support your arguments and avoid confrontational or accusatory language.
6. Hold the Organization Accountable: Hold the organization accountable for its DEI commitments. Monitor progress towards goals, track outcomes, and hold leaders accountable for their commitments.
7. Celebrate Success: Celebrate successes along the way. This can help to build momentum and maintain commitment to DEI efforts.
NOMA and Denver Mountain Parks: Exploring Shared Goals
Tryba Architects is also a proud supporter of the Denver Mountain Parks Foundation. We were pleased to host a networking event at our Denver offices that introduced NOMA members and supporters to the Foundation and explored opportunities for future collaboration.